2013 was an amazing year for our family. Our daughter Claire was born which was the biggest blessing of all. It’s hard to remember life before her. 2013 was good and as I look forward to 2014 there are some things I’ve been thinking about that need to be worked out within me. Here are my top 6 things that I need to work on as a father and husband:
- Do not add more to the plate – It seems that many people add things to do to their already, too full plates. I for one am not adding anything. I have barely done what was on the plate! I am going to improve on the things that I have failed or never really acted out on.
- Waste time – Pope Francis recently said in an interview that we should, “Waste time with our children”. When I first read this I wasn’t sure what it meant. For me, it means that instead of trying to do something “productive” with my daughter—whatever that means—I should simply hangout with her. The times when I am able to simply hang out and lay around with her are usually the best moments. I’ve written about this before but still haven’t gotten it down.
- Exercise & eat healthy– So cliché! I’m not a New Years resolution gym person. I’ve had a gym membership for a long time. The problem is I have not really used that membership. The “I just had a baby” excuse is so 9 months ago. I find myself tired, lazy and unenergetic and I know its because my body is a lump of squishy flesh. The other problem is I love Chinese Buffets. Heaven will have one of these I am sure of it! My food intake is ridiculous and is another reason I am so tired and lazy…and squishy.
- Romantic– My wife is a beautiful and sexy woman (she is turning bright red as she reads this). I am a very lucky man. I use to be very romantic. I don’t really know what’s happened. I think part of the issues is that I have gotten comfortable, meaning I am taking what I have for granted. It shames me to say this, but its true. I need to woo my wife everyday, let her know that I love and think of her often. The date night is a good start, but romance needs to be daily. I don’t mean bringing roses every night after work, but small little ways that show her how crazy I am about her.
- Be intentional – So much of our lives are spent half-assing things. Whether its working out (hence the squishiness), reading to the kids, etc, etc. I don’t know about you but I hate it. I want to be intentional! I want to give a 100% of myself to what I am doing all the time. It is what makes the difference in all we do.
- The ‘Me Monster’ – Brian Regan’s famous “Me Monster” act talks about a person who is constantly steering the conversation towards himself. I find that I am a sort of “Me Monster”. I want things my way all the time and my way isn’t really that great. 2014 has to be less about me, and more about spending time with friends and family. I need to do things that help others and are not so focused on me. I’ve written about this…but am so not there yet.
2014 has to be better in the above areas. All of the above mentioned things affect my family. To be the father and husband I am called to be requires that these 6 things be done well in my life. You may have a similar list and you need to do those things to be the man or woman your family needs you to be.
I pray 2014 may be the year we do these things a little better. Happy New Year everyone!